Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[2] Home
    Visitor:[16] Forum
    Visitor:[1] Guest Book
    Visitor:[6] User Profile

Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.

Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Store...Cross Bay Store...RoccoRocco's
Previous

Next
New Post
7/9/2006 11:08 PM

Have a question. Does anyone know if Rocco's Italian restaurant is still there, under the el on Rockaway Blvd. (right near the Crossbay Theater) in Ozone Park? Maybe the family is still running it. They had such great food!

New Post
7/10/2006 6:09 PM

Sadly Rocco's is gone for quite awhile. Too bad. The memories I have of that restaurant are all good. Many wonderful meals and lovely evenings with friends. My favorite dish was shrimp parmigano.

New Post
7/10/2006 11:55 PM

Rocco's was almost like being at home. It was dimly lit and very cozy. I too remember some really wonderful "family and friend times" there.

New Post
7/11/2006 1:22 AM

Well the Crossbay Movie is now gone and it is a Modell's. Also the other movie house is gone and Marshall's is going in there by the Ozone Park Post Office.

New Post
7/14/2006 5:10 PM

What is Modell's? What other movie theater are you referring to?

New Post
7/14/2006 6:04 PM

If i remember correctly, Modells was a discount retail store with clothing, etc....

New Post
7/14/2006 7:45 PM

Yes Lovely....Modell is basically a discount sports store. They are all over New York. And the other movie theatre was to the left of Crossbay theatre. It was united Artist, I believe. Yes there were two movie theatre's.

New Post
7/15/2006 12:19 AM

Wow, it has been a long time! I heard that there was a larger movie house built there but thought it was in the Crossbay Theater building itself, didn't know it was nextdoor to it! Why would they do that? Anyway, now, where is the closest movie theater for Howard Beacher's and Ozone Park dwellers?

New Post
7/15/2006 12:24 AM

Does anyone remember the furniture store in the 60's? It was near the Crossbay Theater. It was called Venetian Ficarra's. I bought my furniture there when I got married in 1968.

New Post
7/17/2006 8:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lovely: Wow, it has been a long time! I heard that there was a larger movie house built there but thought it was in the Crossbay Theater building itself, didn't know it was nextdoor to it! Why would they do that? Anyway, now, where is the closest movie theater for Howard Beacher's and Ozone Park dwellers?
The closest movies are a multiplex where the Times Square Store used to be on Linden Blvd. in Brooklyn, or a multiplex in a new mall called Atlas Park, 80th St. & Cooper Ave., in Glendale. Or, one could go east to Green Acres/Sunrise in Lynbrook or west to Sheepshead Bay/Kings Plaza, Brooklyn. Sadly, nothing close by H.B. anymore. PS: The newer U.A. theater in Ozone was west of Crossbay, a few stores from what used to be Newmark & Lewis.

New Post
7/17/2006 9:57 AM

Gene, thanks for the updates. It really sounds like HB is on it's way out, doesn't it?

New Post
7/20/2006 2:02 AM

I wouldn't say it's on it's way out, more like it's just changing - "maturing" as a neighborhood. It's crowded, maybe overcrowded, but it's still not like Forest Hills, where one-family homes on 100'x100' are being razed to put up five 3-family attached chicken coops. I think the movies are just taking a hit from dvd's, cable, satellite, and high-def tv. It's more comfortable to sit in your recliner in your living room with a bowl of microwave popcorn and watch the big-screen, instead of shelling out $15 per ticket and $8 for popcorn and sit in a smelly seat over a sticky floor while the guy behind you loudly offers a running commentary of the movie in a theater. Modern times.

New Post
7/20/2006 2:07 AM

Yes, you know what, Gene, I agree with you!

New Post
8/22/2006 5:18 PM

I've been away from the beach since 1978 and I do not have anyone in the family or any friends living there anymore. It's nice to be able to come into this forum and see what the present residents have to say. It looks like, for the mostpart, they are happy. I have all good memories of HB and can't imagine it being a bad place. I guess every neighborhood has it's ups and downs. That's kind of due to the times.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Store...Cross Bay Store...RoccoRocco's

Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Real Estate  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  |  Contact Us  

Copyright © 1997-2016 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use