If you have a statement to make, you can do it in our Forum
Membership Info
Minimize
Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: SteveJay
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 532

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 6
Members Members: 0
Total Total: 6



Users Online
Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[1] Home
    Visitor:[6] Forum


Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.



Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeResidentsResidentsFormer Resident...Former Resident...StahlStahl's bakery
Previous
 
Next
New Post
3/16/2005 10:27 PM
 
Text Who is old enough to remember Stahl's bakery or Schludder's deli? Did I spell that correctly?Text
 
New Post
3/17/2005 10:22 AM
 
quote:
Originally posted by Lovely: Text Who is old enough to remember Stahl's bakery or Schludder's deli? Did I spell that correctly?Text
 
New Post
3/17/2005 10:23 AM
 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD1220:
quote:
Originally posted by Lovely: Text Who is old enough to remember Stahl's bakery or Schludder's deli? Did I spell that correctly?Text

There is a favorite bakery category under Cross Bay Stores that has several references to Stahl's. It appears elsewhere as well.
 
New Post
3/23/2005 9:05 PM
 
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: STAHL'S BAKERY WAS NOT ON CROSSBAY BLVD. IT WAS NEAR THE TRAIN STATION IN OLD HOWARD SO THE SUBJECT OF STAH'S SHOULD NOT BE INCLUDED WITH FAVORITE CROSSBAY STORES.
 
New Post
4/1/2005 12:09 PM
 
Yes, I remember Stahl's Bakery. Great jelly donuts and crumb buns. Do you remember the Santa that stood in the window, with the freaky lightbulb eyes? The wonderful Easter cakes? It was mobbed after Church every Sunday.
 
New Post
4/14/2005 6:09 PM
 
Yes it was! They had great lemon tarts too!
 
New Post
4/14/2005 8:23 PM
 
quote:
Originally posted by Lovely: Yes it was! They had great lemon tarts too!
And what about their cheese cake with the pineapple in the center of the cake.....and their Charlotte Rouch(not sure of spelling) but it a small piece of cake in a cardboard cylinder with lots of real whipped cream on top........delicious!!!!!!
 
New Post
4/21/2005 2:14 AM
 
I'm old enogh to remember Stahl's bakery. I went to OLG and we use to go there and get jelly donuts or cheese buns. They were the best. Their son Fred was in my class for 1st and second grade. He then went to 146. doesn anyone know where Fred is now?
 
New Post
12/9/2005 9:29 PM
 
Didn't know any of the Stahl family, only remember the face of one lady like it was yesterday. My sister said one of the girls was named Louise. All their buns were good and I especially remember the lemon and jelly tarts. Do you remember a shoemaker on that street? I can't remember his name.
 
New Post
12/10/2005 12:18 AM
 
quote:
Originally posted by Lovely: Didn't know any of the Stahl family, only remember the face of one lady like it was yesterday. My sister said one of the girls was named Louise. All their buns were good and I especially remember the lemon and jelly tarts. Do you remember a shoemaker on that street? I can't remember his name.
 
New Post
12/10/2005 12:25 AM
 
The name of the shoemaker was Benny.
 
New Post
12/11/2005 12:55 AM
 
Louise Stahl was a friend of my friend and has passed away....Does anyone remember Strawgate Pharmacy....Bressler's dry good store...or even Goldstands real estate... all located on Coleman Square.
 
New Post
12/11/2005 8:19 PM
 
[was Bressler's also the Tailor?...across from the train station......
 
New Post
12/12/2005 10:08 PM
 
gerri....Bressler was not a tailor. Him and his wife sold every thing from ladies stockings to everything else you can think of.
 
New Post
12/12/2005 11:54 PM
 
I do remember Benny's and Bressler's! What was the name of the dry cleaner and tailor? I know it was near Stahl's. Strawgate pharmacy and Heller's near Our Lady of Grace. Is Heller's still there? Does anyone remember Pat the butcher? He was further down the street from Sal's (butcher). How about Blau's butcher across from the first candy store when you came into town? Remember Levine's produce? The people from Block Island moved to FL. I remember Nick's meatball subs. They were so good and I think only 50 cents.
 
New Post
12/13/2005 8:02 AM
 
Heller's is now a flower shop and of course, very convenient for memorials destined for Casey's, the wreaths etc for my parents were delivered there. Funny how it all some how comes together, I relocated to Coral Spring, FL back in 1976, my neighbor's father came down to visit and it turned out that he used to clean Heller's floors, another person on the HB website (billcinfla) lived less than a block from me on 96 St and then moved to the same street I lived on in Coral Springs which was an arc roughly a city block long. Frank the barber's place is gone, Malone's expanded in it, didn't bother checking on the barber down the block from Heller's, I remember a lot of the places you mention, one memory I have of Nick's is leaning into the back window of George Savino's car and he came out of Nick's and took off without warning since he couldn't hear any the conversation. Did you know Maureen Moore (Nolan) or Maureen Wetzel?
 
New Post
12/13/2005 8:36 PM
 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD1220: Heller's is now a flower shop and of course, very convenient for memorials destined for Casey's, the wreaths etc for my parents were delivered there. Funny how it all some how comes together, I relocated to Coral Spring, FL back in 1976, my neighbor's father came down to visit and it turned out that he used to clean Heller's floors, another person on the HB website (billcinfla) lived less than a block from me on 96 St and then moved to the same street I lived on in Coral Springs which was an arc roughly a city block long. Frank the barber's place is gone, Malone's expanded in it, didn't bother checking on the barber down the block from Heller's, I remember a lot of the places you mention, one memory I have of Nick's is leaning into the back window of George Savino's car and he came out of Nick's and took off without warning since he couldn't hear any the conversation. Did you know Maureen Moore (Nolan) or Maureen Wetzel?
Yes, I did know Maureen Wetzel and I used to hear about a guy called Nolan all the time who used to hang around near Nick's and the train station, never met him though. Was he Marueen Nolan's brother?
 
New Post
12/13/2005 8:40 PM
 
I lived in the Forest Hills section of Coral Springs in 1994. Then moved to Tamarac and later, Weston.
 
New Post
12/14/2005 7:06 AM
 
quote:
Originally posted by Lovely:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD1220: Heller's is now a flower shop and of course, very convenient for memorials destined for Casey's, the wreaths etc for my parents were delivered there. Funny how it all some how comes together, I relocated to Coral Spring, FL back in 1976, my neighbor's father came down to visit and it turned out that he used to clean Heller's floors, another person on the HB website (billcinfla) lived less than a block from me on 96 St and then moved to the same street I lived on in Coral Springs which was an arc roughly a city block long. Frank the barber's place is gone, Malone's expanded in it, didn't bother checking on the barber down the block from Heller's, I remember a lot of the places you mention, one memory I have of Nick's is leaning into the back window of George Savino's car and he came out of Nick's and took off without warning since he couldn't hear any the conversation. Did you know Maureen Moore (Nolan) or Maureen Wetzel?
Yes, I did know Maureen Wetzel and I used to hear about a guy called Nolan all the time who used to hang around near Nick's and the train station, never met him though. Was he Marueen Nolan's brother?
The Nolan's are (were?) an old time HB family, I knew Maureen as Moore, but I heard some of the old timers refer to her as Maureen Nolan on occasion, not sure if her mother was originally a Nolan or if she'd been involved with a Nolan at one time. The Nolan (Jimmy?) who hung out at Nick's was part of the Nolan clan, but not her brother. Maureen lived on 102 St & 157 Ave. I remeber Maureen Wetzel, her brother Joe (Walter) who was killed in Nam was a year behind me at OLG, always felt bad that I never had a chance to extend my condolences. Did you know the Malone's and Chandler's?
 
New Post
12/17/2005 5:06 PM
 
The Chandler's? Do you mean Harry and Larry? Yes, the Malone's, that name is very familiar in Howard Beach.
 
Previous
 
Next
HomeHomeResidentsResidentsFormer Resident...Former Resident...StahlStahl's bakery


 Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  |  Contact Us  

Copyright © 1997-2018 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use