Users Online
Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[1] Home
    Visitor:[15] Forum
    Visitor:[1] User Profile

Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.

Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeResidentsResidentsFormer Resident...Former Resident...1963-1973 Resident1963-1973 Resident
Previous

Next
New Post
5/17/2009 12:35 AM

What a terrific website, especially for a trip down memory lane! Howard Beach was a wonderful neighborhood...just thinking about it makes me smile.I lived in Howard Beach from 1963 to 1973.I have such fond memories of P.S. 232...they were big on dioramas back then. Those were the days when you could walk to school and play in the neighborhood with friends until dinner time. I too would walk to the Cross Bay Blvd shopping center...can recall the candy store, the pizza place on the corner, the bakery for black & whites, Walbaum's, the chinese restaurant....there may have been a shoe repair (that's a little fuzzy). The highlight of any day was hearing the jingle of either a Carvel or Good Humor truck. I remember a pool across from P.S. 232. Back then, a drive to Far Rockaway seemed like a pilgrimage. I now live in southern CA where you have to drive a zillion miles to go anywhere! Does anybody recall Dr. Rosenbaum (pediatrician)...he was like Dr. Welby...they don't make doctors like him anymore...he had a huge, intoxicating fish tank in his office. I lived in a quaint, brick co-op w/a large courtyard. My mom would send me down to an on-site vending machine to buy 1/2 gallons of milk or juice. The planes used to buzz the rooftops when landing at JFK....and the TV reception was always interrupted (rabbit ear antenna :0). I have lived in California since 1973 (10 yrs old) but have always considered myself a transplanted New Yorker!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeResidentsResidentsFormer Resident...Former Resident...1963-1973 Resident1963-1973 Resident

Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  

Copyright © 1997-2021 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use