Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[2] Home
    Visitor:[1] Photos
    Visitor:[16] Forum
    Visitor:[1] User Profile

Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.

Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeResidentsResidentsFormer Resident...Former Resident...OLD HB RESIDENTOLD HB RESIDENT
Previous

Next
New Post
7/5/2000 11:59 PM

I USED TO LIVE ON 87STREET 160 AVE I MOVED TO STATEN ISLAND IN 1994.WENT TO ADAMS GRADUATED IN 1980.

New Post
7/17/2000 7:05 PM

Hotti: Did you know Susan Berdoff? She lived around your neck of the woods? I think she graduated from Beach Channel in 80. I knew here back then.

New Post
7/17/2000 9:54 PM

HI SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW HER.BUT MAYBE SOME OF MY FRIENDS THAT WENT TO BEACH CHANNEL DID.DANNY HICKEY,COLLEEN KISSANE THEY BOTH LIVED IN OLD HOWARD BEACH.

New Post
7/18/2000 4:13 PM

Hottti: Thanks for the response. Who else did you know from Old HB. I knew some people over there that went to OLG Edited by - toml on November 17 2000 09:34:08 AM

New Post
7/18/2000 9:11 PM

lived on 82nd street. Moved in 1972. Graduated from St Helens. Always wondered what ever happen to lisa koronski?

New Post
7/25/2000 8:53 PM

Shedrow, I lived on 87th and 164th in that big brick house with the stairs outside, the first on the block. I moved from there in 1972. Still love that neighborhood but it's too busy now.

New Post
8/17/2000 12:03 AM

Shedrow -- You may have known my sister Donna T. We lived on 82/160. HOTTI -- You may have known my brother Michael T. Same address. Edited by - dc on 08/16/2000 11:04:19 PM

New Post
8/25/2000 7:05 PM

DC I do know your sister. I think we went to camp together (happy Woods) and I believe she was i grade behind me in St. Helens. How is she doing? I think about her ince in awhile.

New Post
9/16/2000 11:55 PM

hi people. im 13 and i was born in queens in 1987. my addy was 164ave 27-87 street i loved it there im moved to flk when i was like 3 yeats old i went baq a few mothes ago and nothen was the same i jjust wanted to say hi to all the HB ppl here

New Post
10/14/2000 10:36 PM

Oh yeah ! I remember Happy Woods. My sister is doing really well..Married 2.4 kids and living in the suburbs. Can I give her a hint as to who you are?

New Post
10/16/2000 8:49 PM

DC, you can e-mail me at Shedrow@aol.com. I'll give you more details.

New Post
11/11/2000 12:40 AM

My parents moved to Howard Beach in 1938 when it was hardly a town at all. The streets were all laid out and paved, but many entire square blocks were nothing but empty lots with a few scraggly trees growing on them. It was interesting to see the growth in the late '40s, '50s & '60s. It kinda reminds me of SimCity. Our house was on 96th Street between 158th & 159th Avenues. I graduated from PS 146 in 1948 and John Adams in 1952. Mom sold the house in 1971 after my Dad passed away. It was fun growing up there. It wasn't anywhere near as populated as it is today. We could play stickball in the street and have no worries about getting hit by cars since they were so few and far between. 96th Street and all of the surrounding streets were still two-way in those days. Traffic was not as hectic as it must be today. Lindenwood & Rockwood Park did not exist when we moved there. The "other side" of CrossBay Blvd was just one big swamp which spawned mosquitoes that I remember being the size of small birds (well, I was much younger then and my perspective was a bit different!). I recall one of the people who lived across the street from us had an old 12 cylinder LaSalle in the late '40s which was about as noisy a car as you'd ever want to see. I currently live in Butler, New Jersey and every so often find myself near Howard Beach and take a nostalgic drive through. I could go on & on, but it's getting late, so I'll sign off for now. Anybody else remember those way back when days? Edited by - ira_stoller on November 26 2000 7:11:12 PM

New Post
11/11/2000 1:26 AM

Ira, I was born in Howard Beach in 1946. I remember lots of things that many people don't, I'm sure. I remember when the creek used to overflow and we used to actually row boats in the streets. There were a lot of empty lots then. Now there is not a place to stick another house. I had my initials and my boyfriend's carved into a tree trunk on 96th Street and 160th Ave. in 1961 but since then the tree was cut down and a house was built there.

New Post
11/11/2000 2:27 AM

Oh boy do I remember the creek overflowing! We lived on 96th Street and once in a great while - no more than once in ten years - it used to go clear across 96th and up on our front lawn. Now that there's nothing but houses on 95th Street where the, you should pardon the expression, "beach" used to be, I wonder if it still overflows. If you were there from 1946, you saw most of the growth spurt in the '50s & '60s. What street did you live on?

New Post
11/11/2000 10:17 AM

Ira, Do you remember, before the first Waldbaums was built on Cross Bay, everyone ice skating on that spot.....I believe it might have even been a golf driving range at that time. I graduated 146 in 1957 and lived on 159th avenue and 97th street until 1973. I also went swimming on 95th street (the beach)....thought I was tough being able to swim across to the Mosaic tile place on cross bay and back. THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!

New Post
11/11/2000 10:29 AM

Indeed I do remember that! Yes it was a golf driving range and yes I used to try skating on the ice until one day I fell through and got awfully wet and awfully scared. Thinking back, it's a wonder there weren't more injuries. There was no supervision and no way to know whether the ice was firm enough to hold the skaters. My oh my, see how conservative we get when we get older [smile]! You lived soooo close to me (96th Street between 158th & 159th Avenues) that we must have passed each other mayn a time in the street or at the subway station or some place.

New Post
11/11/2000 10:44 AM

We did live close by.....did you know the Mahers....they lived next door to me and were also relatives....some one of them might have been more your age?

New Post
11/12/2000 10:38 PM

The name seems awfully familiar. I think I did know one or more of them. Did you know the Matheson family? The schilero family? I've probably spelled both names wrong. The Mathesons were on the corner of 96th & 159th and the Schileros were on 97th between 158th & 159th.

New Post
11/13/2000 5:31 PM

I'm from New HB, though I had a boyfriend from OHB. (Is is taboo to talk about old boyfriends...hmm--). Anyone know whatever happened to PAT VanG. He had 2 younger brothers & a sister, Vickie (I think). Wonder where he is now!

New Post
11/13/2000 7:49 PM

Ira, Yes I do remember the Matheson"s on the corner...."Tree" was one of the sons, I believe....and the father, I think, used to hang with my grandfather down at "Barnette's" (which is now Malones!)...I knew the Schilero's (Richie, I think)....I use to hang out with the Castaldo's, who lived next door to Richie..they had the house that took up three lots back then....fun days they were!....

Previous

Next
HomeHomeResidentsResidentsFormer Resident...Former Resident...OLD HB RESIDENTOLD HB RESIDENT

Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  

Copyright © 1997-2021 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use