Total Total: 11

Users Online
Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[1] History
    Visitor:[11] Forum

Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.

Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Nosta...Cross Bay Nosta...Its wrong to call it New Howard and Old Howard!Its wrong to call it New Howard and Old Howard!
Previous

Next
New Post
6/3/2000 2:37 AM

I think its wrong and egocentic to separate the town by calling it New Howard and Old Howard. To a person in New Howard they wont care about what I say but to to a person in old howard you know what I'm talking about. When you hear Old Howard you think that part of town is crapy and run down, Its not! Its very diverse when it comes houses sure we have some grand ones but its the difference in houses that make it a great place to live. I don't understand how the side of town known as new howard can break it self off like that. Were 1 town not 2! I dont know how they got started but someone from that side of town must have created this. I mean without one you cant have the other. Without as there would be they! for decades we hear of the feuds that boil with the teenages of these sides. An ever lasting hatered that I'm sure no one knowns how it got started. I be a teen a myselfs have heard my freinds point to a girl and say how great she looks and would love to ask her out, but then another friends will say "Shes from new howard, shes a snob or wont like you cause your old howard" This is wrong. I mean I dont hate anyone from that side and there not out neighbors there apart of us. We are 1 not 2 or 3.

New Post
6/5/2000 10:12 AM

Shadow: Yes! You are correct that we are all one Howard Beach. But if you want to be more convincing of this you should learn to spell! You confuse we're (meaning we are) with were, and "there" for their. You mis-spellings are many and your grammer and syntax horrible. Never say "I be a teenager"; its "I am a teenager". Just exactly how old are you?? Anyway; I suspect that the oldtimers still think of it as to sides. Many of the newcomers don't know there is a difference and actually appreciate the relative quiet and less traffic in the "old" side of HB.

New Post
6/13/2000 12:43 AM

Shadow Yes you are wright about old and new, But I think it has been that way since the beginning to time. Not saying I am and old timer i grew up and lived there for 18 years and left in 83 and even my folks were calling it OLD and NEW I guess it's because of all the new construction nothing else, You gotta admit kids act different between the two sides, Right..

New Post
7/8/2000 12:52 AM

The difference started when "New Howard" started being developed and all the "New Houses" were sprouting up. I'm sure there are people who believe there is a class difference between the two areas but I believe people are people. I lived in "New Howard" or I should say Rockwood Park for 34+ years of my 37 years and I never believed I was better than anyone from the "Old side". I actually had many friends who came from the other side of Crossbay Blvd and I treasured those friendships and still do.

New Post
4/18/2001 1:20 AM

first of all, people can spell however they wish. online writing has become so informal. look at me; i don't bother to capitalize properly because it's faster to get the point across. :) with that aside... i moved from the old side when i was three because our basement flooded all the time. moving to the new side really made no huge impact on my parents. it's true that the two sides seem far apart, but i have yet to meet anyone who thinks they're better or worse in reference to the side they live on! i love the older side for the park and water... any time a friend visits, i take them through the new side and end with the quietness of the old side. you know what? everyone's been more at peace with the old side! if you really want to get touchy, ask someone how they feel when someone from lindenwood says they're from howard beach...that's a whole other forum!

New Post
4/18/2001 2:23 AM

I can't believe what I just read. Shadow, I hope you are kidding. I can't believe a teenager could write so badly. If you have a learning disability, please forgive me. If not, please go to school and don't worry so much about the "old side" and the "new side." I be a teenager?

New Post
4/21/2001 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Mage: I think its wrong and egocentic to separate the town by calling it New Howard and Old Howard. To a person in New Howard they wont care about what I say but to to a person in old howard you know what I'm talking about. When you hear Old Howard you think that part of town is crapy and run down, Its not! Its very diverse when it comes houses sure we have some grand ones but its the difference in houses that make it a great place to live. I don't understand how the side of town known as new howard can break it self off like that. Were 1 town not 2! I dont know how they got started but someone from that side of town must have created this. I mean without one you cant have the other. Without as there would be they! for decades we hear of the feuds that boil with the teenages of these sides. An ever lasting hatered that I'm sure no one knowns how it got started. I be a teen a myselfs have heard my freinds point to a girl and say how great she looks and would love to ask her out, but then another friends will say "Shes from new howard, shes a snob or wont like you cause your old howard" This is wrong. I mean I dont hate anyone from that side and there not out neighbors there apart of us. We are 1 not 2 or 3.
I was born in Howard Beach, on the "old" side, moved away and later returned, but to the "new" side. You know what? I was still the same person. I live in FL now and have many friends and family who still live in Howard Beach, on the old and new sides. I noticed when I was a teenager, that there was starting to be a difference in the way people thought of you when you were living on the new side. It made me feel very uncomfortable so I just ignored it. There is no reason for it at all. The houses on the side first built are just as nice as on the new side. The new side only meant that it was built up later than the old side, that's all. It used to be a swamp with a golf range that was always flooded, no big deal. Remember, it was all beach once and the houses did get a lot of water in the basements. I love my memories of both sides of the neighborhood and even though I don't visit often now, I think fondly about the way it used to be. It was a great place to grow up and I hope still is.

New Post
4/22/2001 3:42 PM

I'm not sure that saying "old" Howard Beach is in any way meant as a put down. When I hung aroung that area in the late '40s and early '50s there only was "old" Howard Beach. I think after the other side of Crossbay was developed it was just a way to determine which area was being spoken about, the old or the new. It is all a great area, and even though I've been away for 25 years, I bet it still is......Anyway, thats how I always thought about it... IPRARodeo....Smoky Mountains, NC

Previous

Next
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Nosta...Cross Bay Nosta...Its wrong to call it New Howard and Old Howard!Its wrong to call it New Howard and Old Howard!

Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  |  Contact Us  

Copyright © 1997-2020 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use