Users Online
Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[1] Home
    Visitor:[1] Photos
    Visitor:[13] Forum

Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.

Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Nosta...Cross Bay Nosta...Old Howard BeachOld Howard Beach
Previous

Next
New Post
3/22/2005 12:37 PM

How many businesses by the HB train station can you remember?

New Post
3/23/2005 1:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bunny: How many businesses by the HB train station can you remember?
Limiting myself to those in the very immediate vicinity that could be seen from the station's entrance - Frank's Barber Shop; Barnett's(Malone's) Bar, Howard Cab, Buddy's Candy Store, Smitty's Bar. Missing several, been gone a while,

New Post
3/23/2005 9:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD1220:
quote:
Originally posted by Bunny: How many businesses by the HB train station can you remember?
Limiting myself to those in the very immediate vicinity that could be seen from the station's entrance - Frank's Barber Shop; Barnett's(Malone's) Bar, Howard Cab, Buddy's Candy Store, Smitty's Bar. Missing several, been gone a while,
There also used to be Goldsans Real Estate, Strawgate Pharmacy, Benny's shoe store, Metz's dry good store and many more. Does anyone remember them??

New Post
4/7/2005 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by maloclusion:
quote:
quote:
There also used to be Goldsans Real Estate, Strawgate Pharmacy, Benny's shoe store, Metz's dry good store and many more. Does anyone remember them??

New Post
4/7/2005 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lovely:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes I remember them all except Metz's dry good store. Do you remember Schludder's deli and their great potato salad that has been matched by no one since. I did find one German deli on Elliot Ave. in Elmhurst, NY that had the same but haven't been there in years and haven't had any good potato salad since.

New Post
4/7/2005 12:40 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you remember Pat's Butcher? It was on the same block as Sal's, near the movies? How about Blauh's butcher that was across the street from the first candy store, Joe's, just as you made the turn into "town"?

New Post
4/7/2005 12:43 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was in Bruce Blauh's class at P.S. 146 Bruce's grandfather owned Blauh's butcher shop. I remember Bruce came from Canada and he when he first came to P.S. 146, he thought the British won the war. Bruce if you read this please comment.

New Post
4/7/2005 10:01 PM

I do remember Pat's butcher, in fact, I remember when they first movedin their. Right across the street was Stahl's bakery which I and the family went to every Sunday after Church. Metz store was run and owned by an older couple.

New Post
2/9/2006 2:42 PM

I can remember: Dolly bar lounge, My grandmas Candy store,Tv repair shop, sals butcher, The body shop, Associated foods, The bakery, Dry cleaners, Hardware store,bennys shoes,Mikes Pizza, Howard Cab, Malones, Donut shop(no retail-they only made them),Barber shop, Music store, The Center. Also the laundromat& across from there was the "beer barrel" Actually a converted garage.

New Post
8/21/2006 9:46 AM

I remember the "town" area of old Howard being quite run down and flooded a lot. Lots of low-lying areas, leaving puddles in the street whenever it rained. Not too clean a place but very home-y. How is it now? I remember when Associated Food store was A&P. I remember the Jane Parker pies, they were great! Also the Top Mast sardines from A&P. Does anyone remember the little Mrs. Wagner's fruit pies? Morton chicken pot pies? I can remember when in P.S. 146, coming home for lunch and my mom would have two of them ready with a cup of hot tea for me. Great memories, what a time that was!

New Post
4/9/2007 5:47 AM

Sounds like you have very good memories of Howard Beach, Lovely! I do too! Where else in the world would anyone want to grow up?

New Post
4/19/2007 6:17 AM

N e 1 remember the comic book store that was accross from sals...it was there in the early to mid 90's...the dirtbag teens that hung out there caused them to close...i used to love to go there and play arcades and buy comics...had a few fights out front as well...was young lol

New Post
5/22/2007 8:53 PM

Also add Nick's pizza, the seafood store,Dolly bar, German deli, O'Rouke's Candt store. Mike's pizza later and the TV repair shop and Liquer store.

New Post
5/22/2007 11:35 PM

When I was growing up in Howard Beach ( still live here) there was a fruit and vegetable store right opposite Smitty's bar on the corner. Next to that was Levine's deli and then a candy store right next to that. Before the candy store their was a fish store who made great french fries. Bringing back many memories!!!!!

New Post
5/23/2007 3:20 PM

I remember Block Island being on one corner and Levine's grocery on the other and then down that street was the old Post Office. We used to call it the Dodge City Post Office, haha. That street looked just like Dodge City, dirt road and always dusty. That was like in 1951.

New Post
5/24/2007 9:36 AM

I seem to remember another store (maybe a meat market) across from Smitty's Bar and the Fruit Market. It was all alone, houses on either side and then down the block came the A&P. There was also a short cut through the back of Block Island that was an empty lot and came out next to Sal's Meat Market.

New Post
5/24/2007 2:10 PM

White ridged aluminum above the windows with red lettering?

New Post
5/24/2007 2:15 PM

Phil, seemed to think the name was ????-O, but don't remember the beginning, is that what you are thinking of.

New Post
5/24/2007 3:16 PM

Yes John, that's it. I thought the entrance was indented slightly, like on an angle. There was a house on the corner that had a cyclone fence around it, then this store, then about 4 houses and then the A&P. If memory serves me. Staul's Bakery had an empty lot on that corner which was also a short cut through the woods/soil path.

New Post
5/24/2007 4:34 PM

Don't remember the exact name, but my recollection is that it was similar to Polly-O, the mozarella brand.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Nosta...Cross Bay Nosta...Old Howard BeachOld Howard Beach

Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  

Copyright © 1997-2021 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use