Minimize
   Members Where are they
    Visitor:[2] Home
    Visitor:[18] Forum
    Visitor:[1] Guest Book
    Visitor:[1] User Profile

Announcement
Minimize

You must be registered and logged in to post a message on this forum. Please note that all posts with authors listed as  "anonymous"  were migrated from the old website forum.

Howard Beach Forum
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Nosta...Cross Bay Nosta...JoeJoe's Candy Store . . .
Previous

Next
New Post
7/5/2000 11:32 PM

Anybody remember Joe's Candy Store - I think it is now the chinese restaurant, Carosel. How about A&P where that Pet store is and Ragtime used to be a gas station. Panzarella's on the water (I could be remembering the wrong name) I remember going there for breakfast when I was a kid. The Library used to be where the Men's Store and Chelsea House (China Buffet) are now. So much has really changed in the 35 years I've been in H.B. Vicky

New Post
7/7/2000 9:57 AM

Vicky; For a trip down memory lane go to the folder that has a discussion group on Cross Bay Blvd nostalgia. People have discussed all the great old stores. Do you remember Jet Hamburgers before there was a McDonalds? Or how about Vicky Lanes that was near Joe's Candy store? Or King Georges Coffee Shop that was next to the Chase Manhattan Bank?

New Post
7/8/2000 1:06 AM

I remember Vicky Lane's but can't remember Jet's - I'll check out the nostalgia section - thanks for telling me about it - I'm new to this site and trying to learn my way around. Vicky

New Post
7/9/2000 9:26 PM

I remember Joe's Candy Store. We used to hang out there all the time. The place across the street was Panar's. Remember the bowling alley Cross Bay Lanes. Those were really good times

New Post
10/12/2000 12:36 AM

What about some other places such as: Trampoline City, minature golf, Key Food (where Strauss store was), Big Daddy's (where the GEICO insurance is now), there was a wooden bridge next to Surfside Motel to get to Charles Memorial Park, Cold Beer place, lumber and cement yard, Go-Karts, Carvel with freshly dipped cherry bonnets with many other flavors, Rockwood Park Jewish Center was originally a store front next to the Key Food (I think), Jet-Drive In became the Big E, Pizza City was where Burger King is now, Staples was previously a kiddie park which became Nathans and Lazer Tag, also the store before Waldbaums gave yellow or green stamps which you could exchange for gifts, there were 2 Lindenwood Pools-one where Columbia Bank, AND the water was CLEAN near Charles Memorial Park. Anyone have any other thoughts.

New Post
11/6/2000 7:29 PM

So much has changed here some things for the better and some not.The one thing that has not changed for the better are the residents here.I remember it being a much warmer community then it is now.The people were more down to earth and friendly around here years ago.I also think that it is overly populated.It seems as though people are looking to rent out every square inch of their house.This was a great place to grow up but it is much too congested here now and the people are not as kind and wonderful as I remember them once being.The residents around here are too busy looking down their noses at people and competing for who can have the fanciest looking house on the block. I miss the Howard Beach of yester-years.

New Post
11/11/2000 7:46 AM

You are so correct in your assessment! I couldn't agree more. So much has changed here some things for the better and some not.The one thing that has not changed for the better are the residents here.I remember it being a much warmer community then it is now.The people were more down to earth and friendly around here years ago.I also think that it is overly populated.It seems as though people are looking to rent out every square inch of their house.This was a great place to grow up but it is much too congested here now and the people are not as kind and wonderful as I remember them once being.The residents around here are too busy looking down their noses at people and competing for who can have the fanciest looking house on the block. I miss the Howard Beach of yester-years.

New Post
11/11/2000 7:30 PM

What about some other places such as: Trampoline City, minature golf, Key Food (where Strauss store was), Big Daddy's (where the GEICO insurance is now), there was a wooden bridge next to Surfside Motel to get to Charles Memorial Park, Cold Beer place, lumber and cement yard, Go-Karts, Carvel with freshly dipped cherry bonnets with many other flavors, Rockwood Park Jewish Center was originally a store front next to the Key Food (I think), Jet-Drive In became the Big E, Pizza City was where Burger King is now, Staples was previously a kiddie park which became Nathans and Lazer Tag, also the store before Waldbaums gave yellow or green stamps which you could exchange for gifts, there were 2 Lindenwood Pools-one where Columbia Bank, AND the water was CLEAN near Charles Memorial Park. Anyone have any other thoughts. Before the Surfside Motel was there there was a place called Andy's Pavillion. Do you remember the war surplus PT boat that was moored on the inland end of that canal. There was some old guy that seemed to live on the thing. I don't think it even had any running gear it was always moored in the same spot.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeCross BayCross BayCross Bay Nosta...Cross Bay Nosta...JoeJoe's Candy Store . . .

Home  |  About  |  History  |  Photos  |  Cross Bay  |  Forum  |  Guest Book  |  Events  

Copyright © 1997-2021 HowardBeach.com
Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use